On January 17th, 2007 the ministry of the Interior officially announced the Dongsha Atoll National Park program. The first five years from the inception of the national park will be viewed as a restoration period, during which civilian tourists will be denied access to the national park.
- Climate and Rainfall
The Dongsha Atoll is located at the northern tropical area in the subtropical monsoon climate where the northeast monsoons come in winter, while the southwest monsoons in summer. The mortheast monsoons take place from October to April. The average temperature on Dongsha Island is about 26 C from 1996 till 2005. The average rainfall in a year is 1,346 mm. The wet season starts from May till September. The annual average of typhoons striking the island is2.9.
- All daily Necessities on Dongsha Island are Transported from Taiwan by supply ships. There is lack of power supply and communications. Fresh water on the island comes from a small
- ir Transportation:
Air Transportation: At present there are both military and civilian aircrafts flying between Taiwan and Dongsha Island. The former is intended for supply of necessities and official business, and the latter for transportation of personnel stationed on the island.
- Sea Transportation
Sea Transportation: Large ships cannot approach Dongsha Island as a one-to two-meter-deep shallow reef lies around the island. There is only a simple pier on the island. Large ships need to stop offshore, and only feeder ships can pull in to shore. Goods can only be unloaded by hand. Sometimes hoisting machines are used to facilitate unloading. A military supply vessel goes to the island for supply of controlled resources, the quantity of which varies with actual needs. Also, a civilian ship transports living necessities, diesel oil, machines and tools, vehicles, or building materials.
- The Eco Code on Dongsha Island:
- Do not litter in land or in sea areas.
- Do not make noise or disturb or catch living creatures on land.
- Recollect this place with photos. Do not take away any living creatures on land or in sea areas.
- Do not tread on coral reefs. Do not feed marine creatures or tease them.
- Do not take away coral sand. Dongsha Island will be gone if everyone takes away part of coral sand.
- Do not take away or damage debris or archeological relics. Do not introduce alien animals or plants in order to protect the ecological environment on the island.
- Do not enter without permission, photograph, or map the military facilities on the island.
Last Updated on 2009-08-14